Instead of trying to fabricate an identity to affirm your place in the world, accept your position as the observer and focus on that as your identity. If you expect nothing more from yourself than this, you’ll soon be surrounded by people who love you for who you are, and you won’t even need to pretend to be something else.
- The masks you're wearing (ego's) are not real
- These ego's can bring about unhappiness due to unrealistic expectations; as with our happiness formula.
- These can also shift and change over time, yet the fundamental “you” remains.
What should you do for happiness?
- To find out, you should mentally strip away all the things that change over time. This includes everything you can observe; your possessions, your family and even your body!
- Do not create an identity to confirm your place in the world.
- Accept your position as an observer and focus on it as your identity.
- Do not pretend you are different.
- You are not your body!
- You are the observer.
- You are the one who sees.
- Enjoy your coffee!
- Be yourself no matter what they say.
- Well, that's how it feels for all of us!
- Everything is both good and bad. Or maybe everything is neither.
- You are not the star in the movie!
- Solve for Happy - Mo Gawdat