ULTIMATE TRUTH 1 - NOW - SOLVE FOR HAPPY - MO GAWDAT
This connects to what we said earlier about the illusion of time, and how emotions felt in the present are generally positive, while those in the past or in the future tend to be negative. So how can you focus on the present moment in your life? The answer is by developing awareness.
This sounds easier than it is. To live as a human you have to find the balance between being and doing, but in the modern world, everyone’s overly occupied with doing – whether it’s going for coffee, incessant meetings or exercising. Yet, all these activities ignore the potential of stopping and becoming aware of the moment and the possibilities of doing nothing and simply being.
This can be found in the Taoist idea known as wu wei: where doing nothing can be the best course of action. Imagine someone is growing a plant – they allow it sun, water and fertilizer, and nothing more. Any more intervention would get in the way!
So how can you develop awareness in your day-to-day life? You might not have the time or the surroundings to meditate as many practices suggest, but you could start by simply trying to notice specific things in your environment – the different types of trees you encounter or how much water you drink a day. It doesn’t matter what you’re looking for, so long as you’re paying attention.
You could also try to limit the distractions around you, most notably technologies like smartphones, TV, and computers, or just enjoying an activity without any clocks around at least once a week. Whether it’s going for a walk or being in a quiet room, enjoy a bit of space and freedom from the constant ticking of time.
The important thing is to focus: when you have to do something, make sure you only do one thing at a time and fix your attention on it so that you do it well.
What should you do for happiness?
- You must focus on the present moment in your life, by developing consciousness.
- You have to find the balance between being and doing.
- Doing nothing can be the best course of action. Imagine someone growing a plant - they allow it to the sun, water and fertilizer, and nothing more. More intervention would get in the way!
- Meditate or simply try to notice specific things in your environment, such as the different types of trees you encounter or how much water you drink per day. It does not matter what you are looking for, as long as you pay attention.
- Reduce distractions around you, in particular, technologies such as smartphones, TV, and computers, or simply enjoy an activity without clocks once a week.
- The most important thing is to concentrate: if you have to do something, make sure you only do one thing at a time and focus on it so that you do it right.
- You are more likely to be lucky if you are fully aware of the current moment.
- Consciousness has no on and off button. It is like a dimmer. If you raise it, you become more aware.
- You do not have to do anything to be aware of something. It is your default setting. To get there you have to stop doing it!
- Stop doing and just be.
- The result of consciousness is positive, especially if there is nothing to do.
- You get the black belt of presence when you realize that you are not aware.
- Less is more.
- It's time for my consciousness break
- You are fully present when you let go of time.
- Be aware of the journey, life plays out here.
- Whatever you do, give it your undivided attention.
- Live your life in the here and now, not inside your head.
- Solve for Happy - Mo Gawdat